My big end’s gone floppy…..but it happens to us all in the end……
Although the bundles of reeds are quite lightweight they are fractionally too heavy for the frame especially when they’re wet…..and it’s now raining. Panic stations……I contacted Graham Corrick who fabricated the original frame and asked if he could make me some extra rings that I can push inside to reinforce the big end. Hopefully this will fix the problem, but I won’t know until I’m on site….
The method of transport has also proved to be problematic as joining the middle section and the tail-end together proved very stressful (a good thing Zoe wasn’t filming this bit as a lot of editing would have been required!!). Consequently I’ve decided not to separate these two sections again, so my work now needs to be transported as one very big and one medium sized object. Hopefully it’s going to fit on the truck tonight, as Dilly and Brian Bradley are willing to accept delivery at 08.00 tomorrow morning. Husband David, neighbour Chris, and I will do the lifting/carrying (it’s not particularly heavy, just floppy) Wish us luck.
The small end is now completed and just in time before the rain set in……no time to attempt an initial reconstruction, maybe tomorrow ?
I’ve just received some images of the reed harvest at Ham Wall RSPB nature reserve courtesy of James Edwards (reserve assistant) http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/h/hamwall/
In the pictures the reeds are been cut with giant machine. I understand that this can only be done where there are large stretches of reeds. The reeds I have been using were all cut by hand and then tied into bundles.
On the final stretch but rain forecast for tomorrow and have to do some food shopping! The middle section now looks like a giant floppy sunhat. I just hope it’s all going to fit back together again!
Building this sculpture has proved to be hard physical work……I have been sewing small bundles of reeds on to the black background using raffia and a large, curved ‘leather’ needle. I have the hands to prove it! My DNA is now an integral part of this work . One third is now completed with two thirds to go……..
I went to collect the reeds last week from Ham Wall RSPB nature reserve near Shapwick (http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/h/hamwall/)
So far I’ve collected three car loads and I’m going back for a fourth today (hopefully my last trip). There is now a distinctive and unusual smell coming from this are of the garden…….
Meeting with garden owners and Zoe from SAW at 9am this morning. Just needing to finalise details, health and safety etc etc. I just hope I finish the work in time….
I have now finished weaving in the black ground cover material to form a more solid basis for the reed thatching. Close up it really does look like part of a close fitting ‘little black dress’.
I’ve had to leave some gaps in the fabric as these are the two points where the frame comes apart to form three separate sections, and I need it in three sections for transportation purposes!
It rained last night and the drops made an interesting photo.
I shall be able to collect the reeds 27th August and then it will be all systems go, go, go….
The school holidays and nice weather have proved very distracting…….but I’m finally getting to grips with the inside of the ‘Horn’. I’m using weed control fabric as it’s sufficiently black, but does allow some light to permeate through. It is also is tough enough to provide a strong mesh which will hopefully support the bundles on reeds. I tried applying it in large sheets but it didn’t provide sufficient strength to the sculpture. The three components to the ‘horn’ now look like a sculpture in their own right. I think the smaller one resembles a witches bonnet!
Hopefully one week to go until the reeds can be cut.
I intend using reeds as thatching, to cover the outside of the Horn of Plenty.
Ham Wall Nature Reserve http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/h/hamwall/ are willing to let me have as many reeds as I need but, I have to wait until the nesting season is over…..about the middle of August). so I’m now playing the waiting game. I’ve visited the reserve several times to record the growth of the reeds and they are now green and lush. A few more weeks to go……..